Membership in AFA
You can join AFA at any time. Membership in AFA becomes effective upon submittal of a completed membership application form. Note that if you retire from SRJC but later return to teach at SRJC, you may need to re-submit a form to re-activate your membership. Also, you may need to reapply for membership if you have not had an assignment at SRJC within the last two years. Look on your pay stub where your deduction is listed as AFA DUES (you're a member). Call the AFA office if you have any questions. (According to the AFA Bylaws, managers who are performing an hourly assignment are not eligible to join AFA.) Click here to download an AFA Membership form, fill it in, sign and date where indicated, and return it to the AFA office.
The AFA Executive Council sets the Dues that members pay to be equivalent, 0.74% of gross pay beginning Spring 2012. The percentage is applied to the earnings of faculty and subtracted as a payroll deduction from each check you receive at SRJC for faculty work.
As a participating AFA member you are entitled to the following:
- Right to vote to accept or reject AFA negotiated contracts
- Right to vote for AFA Executive Council members
- Right to run for a seat on the AFA Executive Council
- Right to vote for any changes to the AFA Constitution or dues structure
- Right to respond to AFA member-only surveys